Sunday, September 13, 2015

Student Videos - 2014 Response

After watching all of the student videos of 2014 there were two that stood out to me the most: "The Terror" and "Towards an Uncertain Future". I found that both of these videos kept me listening and did not bore me like some of the other videos done by other groups. They did a great job with their visualization and narration of the information at hand and I hope that I'm not being biased for the reasons that most of "The Terror" and parts of "Towards an Uncertain Future" were placed in Peru. Something I also liked about these videos was the background music which set the mood of the setting for the information they were giving us; this is something that I will keep in mind and most likely incorporate in my own project.

There were a few videos that did not really catch my attention but since we have to pick the worst two I chose "The Meeting of Two Worlds" and "Speaking Truth to Power" as the bottom two. The biggest reason for my decision is the lack of visualization that they incorporated in both videos; specially in "Speaking Truth to Power" were visualization was non-existent and it was even hard to understand the second half of the video due to the quality of the audio. Even the narrative of both videos were dull and most parts were clearly read right of a piece of paper with no charisma, pitch, or tone. This is also something that I will keep in mind for my project. Being able to narrate a video with the proper pitch and tone to capture your audience is not as simple as it sounds!

I'm looking forward to all the workshops we will have for creating our videos as my knowledge in that field is very limited. Being able to visually inspire, teach, or demonstrate through a video is a very valuable skill to have and I'm glad I will get to practice it in this class. These student videos from last year are a great bench mark for our projects and I hope I can produce something better this year!

1 comment:

  1. I very much agreed with you in regards to "The Terror" being one of the videos that kept me intrigued and focused. Hope to see you in class!

    ReplyDelete